Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Using up the yarn from Elsa's hat.

I also finished off the yellow ball. Two yarns with three stones. I had toyed with the idea of using the yellow along with the variegated stuff in making Elsa's scarf, but I decided against it. I was having enough trouble with one color.  Kasia picked the hat yarn, and since she has some color blindness, I wanted to use yellow, because I know it's one she can see well.

I need to learn to incorporate different colors into my knitting and crochet. This is a scalloped edge I put on a garter-stitched wash cloth, following instructions from the Very Pink Knits Youtube channel. When I knit the cloth, I tried out the technique of slipping the first stitch on every row to create a nice even edge. Then I covered it up. I guess it would have been worth the trouble if I was going to leave it without a border.


Here's a little more detail. You do a single crochet, skip a stitch or row, then do five double crochets in one space.



Then I decided to try some stripes with a single-crochet cloth. I bordered it with double crochets all around.


Finally, I finished off both yarns by doing the old tried and true diagonal cloth. I overestimated what was left of the yellow, so I ended up ripping it back to the 39th row after completing the 66th or so. I used larger needles because I was trying to conserve the yarn. In doing so, I realized I ended up with a much thinner, lighter cloth (duh) that way. If the yarn isn't going into the fabric it knits up looser and thinner. Who'd a thunk it?

I looked around for a method to incorporate crochet into the inner rows that end up with some pretty lacy holes due to the way the stitches are increased and decreased in knitting the diamond. I didn't find any, and I messed around with trying to figure it out on my own without success. Here's a closeup of the holes.



One is supposed to crochet with a hook of the same diameter as the knitting needles. I tried various edges, but I ended up with a Goldilocks problem. My border was either too tight and puckered up the knitting, or it was too loose and created little ruffles. The striped crocheted cloth above has a slight ruffle problem.

This cloth was knit with 6 mm needles. I tried various combinations of singles, doubles, half-doubles, and chaining between the holes. I eventually settled on simply putting two single crochets in each of the large holes just inside the edge, leaving the next set of holes as they were. If I did this with a 6 mm hook, it was too tight. If I tried to loosen it up by chaining between each set of two singles, it was too loose. I finally finished it by putting the two singles in each hole with nothing in between, but with a few extra chains to turn the corners, using a 6.5 mm hook. I still got ruffles, but by then I was ready to go to bed, and my washcloth was getting pretty fragile from all the crocheting and ripping, so I declared it done.


I'm done knitting dish/wash cloths for now. For my bus projects, I'm going to bring along my giant ball of ivory and practice crochet stitches from a book of blankets for toddlers that I bought, so I'll be good at it when I start the pastel colored blanket. Remember my gauge swatch? I'm going to make several different 9" x 9" swatches, but all of different stitches.


I also have this cute little kimono planned, in a light gray cotton yarn. I need to get it started so she can actually wear it.

Needless to say (Needles to say?), nothing else is getting done around here.

I'm inserting another picture of the scalloped edge because I don't know how to tell facebook which picture to use in links, and it seems to want to use the last one.





No comments:

Post a Comment