Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Pot Holders Are Hard!


It looks simple enough. Cast on 28 stitches, then knit it until it's a square. See those three strands of yarn coming out to the right? I'm knitting with them together, as if they constitute one strand. It's a good thing I chose to use straight needles, because manipulating these tight, tight stitches involves some bracing of the needle against something stationary, and that wouldn't be possible with the circulars. Each stitch requires some scootching of the stitches up to the ends so that one can be slipped off carefully. It takes some force, so I can't just trust that a simple swipe of the right needle will get only the one I want. The bad news is that it's very slow going. The good news is that it won't take nearly as many rows to get the length I need as it would if I were knitting with a single strand of yarn. The tightness of the the stitches is what will make it a good, thick piece of material that can be used for handling hot things.

I finally finished the little buggers. First and last set made with three strands.

1 comment:

  1. I never knew you had a blog! You probably didn't know I have one too, but I don't tend to it very well.

    ReplyDelete