Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Slouchey Hat

I decided the cotton hat I had crocheted was too small. I've cleaned up the finishes on it, and I plan to give it a bath and donate it to a cancer center for some lady or child with a smaller head.

This morning, as I was wrapping my wet hair in a scarf to leave for work, I thought it would be nice to have a hat that is loose, made of quick-drying synthetic fibers, and full of holes. If arranged properly, it might just enhance some curls as my hair dries. I found this free pattern, titled Waffle Cone Slouchy Hat at:

http://www.gleefulthings.com/blog/?p=3258


It's made with super bulky (category 6) yarn. The pattern suggests Lion Brand Hometown USA or Wool-Ease Thick and Quick. It requires about 80 yards. At the store, they had a few unpopular shades of Bernat Blanket on sale for $6.99 for about 280 yards. This yarn is sort of like a chenille, and it's 100% polyester. I find acrylic to be itchy. Now that I've made it once, I could knock out another in about three hours.

Here's a close-up of the hat without the model.


With what I have left, I'm going to knit a unisex hat to donate. I think this yarn would feel very soft and nice on a tender head. It will need to be tightly knit, so a person with hair loss won't have their skin showing through. There are a couple of patterns I'm considering. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment