Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Next up: Mobius Cowl FAIL

Update: I wore this once, decided I hate the way it curls up and the fact that it's too long and skinny. I intended to unravel it and use it again, but when I tried to make a cut to get the process started, I ended up with something that wouldn't unravel. It's in the trash now. RIP.

Here's what I'm making with the free yarn I got when I took a crochet class at JoAnn Fabrics. It has six rows of garter stitch on the bottom for stability, and I hope when it gets near the end I'll be able to top it off with another six. It depends on whether I can accurately eyeball when I have six rows left on the ball.  Actually, I suppose I could measure the next round to see how much yarn is used and mark the spot on the ball where there will be just enough for six rows and a bind-off.  Guess I'm a genius or something.



I read about this in a pattern for a kid's cowl. You make it Mobius by purposely giving the stitches a twist before joining. The thing that all knitting in the round projects warn you against. With this off-white yarn that is wrapped with tiny strands of brown, black, and grey, it gives a nice tweedy look on the purl side.

I'm not a fan of acrylic, and I would not have purchased this yarn for myself, but it's pretty easy to work with, and it should be fairly warm for this job. And it was free. Free is good.


This is how it turned out. I'm just going to have to quit improvising and actually follow patterns. I thought by cramming as many stitches on the circular needle as I could, I'd get a dense knit. Nope, it just makes for a bigger circle. This is not going to be a scarf. More like a fat necklace. It's still somewhat decorative.

1 comment:

  1. You are funny Holly Nan. I have at least dozens of hat patterns but I keep trying to go off and do it without any. My proportions usually get very wacko. I'll have to post a picture of the bizarre looking hat I'm currently working on. It is telling me it would like to be a bag and I just might make a handle for it.

    ReplyDelete