Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Crocheting with plarn

My first project crocheted from plarn. Because there isn't enough yarn in this house. This shade of plarn is Hy-Vee. I keep my unscented hand soap, sanitizer, and lotion in it for a quick grab when heading to the restroom. My hands break out from the scented stuff provided by the building.

In case you haven't guessed, plarn stands for plastic yarn. It is made by cutting the handles and bottoms off grocery store bags, cutting the remaining tube part into loops, and chaining the loops together. Most patterns I've seen recommend holding two strands of plarn together, because it's pretty weak in singles.

I used crochet because it seemed the quickest way to go. There's no pattern, just made a rectangular bottom, and then crocheted around it until I had the height I needed. The handles were made by skipping about 15 crochets in the middle of each side and instead chaining those stitches before resuming after the end. I went around one more time to give the handles a little thickness.
I have a lot of bags saved up, but I haven't plarned again yet. When I do, I'll have some nice Target ones that are purely white and red and some Hy-Vee ones that are black, blue, and gold for the Royals baseball season. Also some gray Wal-Mart ones.

1 comment: