Pages

Friday, December 12, 2014

The snowball hat

I finally finished this little pest. 


This is the one I've had to start over about four times. Here is the actual link to the pattern. http://www.allfreeknitting.com/Ribbed-Hats/Simple-Snowball-Beanie


So I finished it on Sunday, and despite some weird loose stitches in places, I wasn't too displeased with it. It's pretty simple, just a 2x2 rib for about an inch and a half, then slightly larger needles and a 7x3 rib for the body. Yes, after the decreases, you really do cinch together 40 stitches. They closed up pretty well.

I knew I never saw any 100% cotton hat patterns, but I never understood the reason why until I finished this. When I put it on, it was so loose it threatened to slide off the back of my head. Aha! Cotton stretches, but it doesn't spring back like wool or acrylic. Now I know.

I rescued the hat by stitching a plain old Goody elastic headband inside the brim. It's nice and snug now.

1 comment:

  1. This hat has been reincarnated. I ripped it out and re-knit it into a rolled brim hat from the Twist And Sprout pattern I made Elsa's yellow hat with. It was too large, and it didn't have any body or stretch to it. It has gone to that big yarn ball in the sky.

    ReplyDelete