Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Today's project. I only make square or rectangular things.

Or, as this photo indicates, things that are vaguely square or rectangular.



I visited Urban Arts and Crafts in Briarcliff Village Friday night and picked up a couple of small skeins of lightweight yarn. I even paid for them. I just wanted to check out a store other than the big boxes. They had some beautiful stuff, but way too classy for someone at my level. Baby alpaca and mink? Really?

The store is nice, and the woman at the counter was very helpful. The only problem I had with it is that it reeks of perfume, because they sell soap-making supplies. I doubt I'll be back because of that.

This is cotton, a lighter weight than what I have used up until now. This one had a pattern on the label, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. You knit four rows, and then you do a row of "yarn over, knit two together." Then you knit four more rows, and repeat until you have the desired length. I think a really long piece would make a pretty scarf. As a dish cloth, I think it's a bit too lacy. Maybe a dozen knit rows between the rows with the holes would be more practical.

When you knit two stitches together, that decreases the stitches on your needles by one. BUT, when you do the yarn over by bringing your working yarn from the normal position behind the needle to the front of the needle, it gets caught up in the works and ends up adding back the stitch you just eliminated, but it leaves a big hole. Since the pattern calls for this combination to be repeated for an entire row, you end up with a row full of holes.

I think I'll make a hat for Elsa. The easiest instructions I have seen use circular needles, so I'll be getting some in the near future. Meanwhile, let the dish- and wash- cloths continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment